Earth Hockey II
- This computer visualization activity is designed to help upper division undergraduate students model straight lines on a rotating Earth.
- Students use Maple to draw straight lines, i.e. great circles, on the earth, taking the earth's rotation into account.
- The entire class wrap-up discussion summarizes group findings, leading to a discussion on geodesics (“straight” lines on a curved surface).
- Properties of trajectories in rotating reference frames are counterintuitive.
- Good followup to previous activity studying animations for particular examples
rfehockey2.mws (Maple 11 Classic)
Authors: Tevian Dray
To edit this page, go here